"Should I save or savor the world?"

If the world were merely seductive, that would be easy. If it were merely challenging, that would be no problem. But I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve (or save) the world and a desire to enjoy (or savor) the world.

This makes it hard to plan the day.

E.B. White

Thursday, February 26, 2009

Trust in Allah, but tie up your camel.


You are invited to Geneva's second fundraiser; we'll watch and discuss the movie, Daughters of Everest, at the Curtis Memorial Library, 6-9pm, Thursday, March 5th.

Admission is $5. Original Tibetan clothing articles will be for sale. Movie and following discussion will be in the Morrell Meeting Room.

Daughters of Everest is the story of the first attempt made to summit Everest by five Sherpa women, and represents the all-too-natural marginalization that women in that hemisphere face consistently. This film should provoke some good conversation, and I look forward to watching it with a larger group of interested individuals.

A scene from the "Daughters of Everest"

Thank you to the Cathance River Education Alliance, and Rick Wilson, for purchasing the film and allowing me its use. Also a very warm thank you to Liz Doucett and the Curtis Memorial Library for all of their help and generosity in use of their space.
---

If you are new to the blog, thanks for reading. Check out the links on the right side of the page for more information and background on my project. As always, don't hesitate to drop me a line: gmwilgus@gmail.com

Well, in eleven days, I depart. I am ready to be on that plane; as much as I love planning, I'm ready to put down the perpetually active cell phone, and the always-over-heated laptop, and start on this long awaited adventure.

The fundraiser dance and auction was well-planned and executed, but unfortunately was impeded by weather on the night of Sunday, February 22 when Mid Coast Maine received such severe weather that over 20,000 people in the state lost power. Regardless, we still had Jeff Raymond, Doug Protsik, and Milo Stanley, as well as a few contra die hards and supportive friends so that the evening still brought in over $500. Thank you to all those who participated!

New donors to the project:

Halcyon Yarn from Bath, Maine, is donating wool, knitting needles, and instructional material to the girls in Tibet. I am looking forward to teaching one of my renewed pastimes, and to sharing with the girls a useful and lovely skill.

Emily, with the Service Learning Team at Pacific Ridge School, is working with fellow students to procure and donate maps, globes, and school material to the girls at the home. Good luck to Emily, and thanks for the good work you are doing!

Sue Townsend, an educator of 5th grade at Wiscasset Elementary has invited me to speak to her class next week, as well as work with her students to generate a book swap project, similar to the Longfellow School book swap. I am looking forward to meeting Sue and her class.

On Tuesday, March 3, I will be learning from June, a book mending volunteer at Curtis Memorial Library, about how to make minor repairs to books in order to increase the longevity of the new library at GSD in Tibet. I am grateful for any new skill I am able to come by; thank you to Curtis Memorial Library and June for making this possible.

---

As the hourglass empties for the next chapter of this story, please continue to be in touch; I love to meet you and to enjoy your stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment