"Should I save or savor the world?"

If the world were merely seductive, that would be easy. If it were merely challenging, that would be no problem. But I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve (or save) the world and a desire to enjoy (or savor) the world.

This makes it hard to plan the day.

E.B. White

Thursday, March 5, 2009

"The time has come," the walrus said

Everything is done. Well, except my packing; the floor of my room is littered with vitamins, protein bars, brightly colored childrens books, chamois cloth, water sterilization tabs, and lots of double A batteries. My pack stands ready and waiting to receive this odd assortment while I contemplate the hours I have left in Maine, and the travels that are before me. You'll notice that the blog title has changed from "Tibet; A Beginning" to "Three Months In Tibet", reflecting the beginning to a new chapter in this journey.

I fly out of Boston this Monday morning to JFK in New York. From New York I fly 15 hours to Beijing, where I have a 19 hour lay over before arriving in Xining on Wednesday, March 11. I will stay in Xining for a few days with Dockpo's friend, Maria, at her hostel. When Dockpo arrives in Xining on his way back from Boston, he and I will travel by car to the home in Darlag, approximately 240 miles southwest of Xining.

This week has been a flurry of activity in making last minute arrangements, meetings, goodbyes, and I am feeling the relaxation of my planning reaching its culmination in my departure early tomorrow morning.

If you would like to send books, academic supplies, knitting supplies, or anything else for the girls, you may send it to:

T-Fusion & SDGH Girls Home
Xiao Qiao Miao Pu
Post Box 1
Cheng Bei District
Xining, 810003
Peoples Republic of China

Robert Louis Stevenson said "There are no foreign lands. It is only the traveler who is foreign."

1 comment:

  1. What is up Geneva? How is it in Tibet? Is it fun? I saw the picture you put up on this web site from our class. See you in three months.


    From Nick

    ReplyDelete