"Should I save or savor the world?"

If the world were merely seductive, that would be easy. If it were merely challenging, that would be no problem. But I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve (or save) the world and a desire to enjoy (or savor) the world.

This makes it hard to plan the day.

E.B. White

Tuesday, February 10, 2009

last month in town

It's February, and in exactly 28 days, I leave for Tibet. I am feeling the stress of pulling together fundraisers as well as the various travel arrangements that are part of the trip, but, as one of my favorite poets says, "I am learning it daily, learning it through pains to which I am greatful: patience is all!" -RM Rilke, "Letters To A Young Poet."

If you are new to the blog, welcome! Read more about the background of this project through the links to older posts on the right side of the page.

Upcoming Fundraiser:

Sunday, February 22, 6pm-10pm
Silent Auction and Contra Dance
Wescustogo Hall, North Yarmouth

$8/Adult, children under 15/free
Live music, dancing for the whole family, and auction items you can't resist, all for a great cause.

---
A very warm thank you to all the people who have donated to my travel costs and to Golok Sengcham Drukmo; I have received approximately $900 from their generosity and I look forward to continuing to thank them for their investment through diligent service while in Tibet.

As per the recent donations, I just received confirmation for my recently purchased flight to Xining, China (Tibetan Autonomous Region) and I couldn't be more excited! I depart Logan Airport, Boston, on March 9th at 11am, to return to Boston on June 8, at 9pm. It's a grand total of 93 days in Tibet. (Does that have a better sound than "7 Years In Tibet"?)

---
More networking (my favorite)

Tonight, I am meeting Dockpo Tra, the owner, director, and founder of GSD. He is in Boston until March, doing fundraising for the school and is coming to Maine this evening to join Willy Oppenheim, Steve Le, and several other key players in this trip, for dinner. I am looking forward to meeting him; it will certainly compound the feeling of impending adventure that I have simply from pushing the button to purchase a flight today.

Steve Le is here, visiting from Pacific Ridge School in California, and brought with him a card and handmade books from students and classes at PRS. Thank you, again, for the support I am receiving from the 8th grade as well as other individuals at PRS. You guys are awesome!

Steve Sclar is a student at William and Mary, and will be coming out to Tibet to volunteer at GSD this summer. His stay should overlap with mine by about a week, and we are already in conversation about how to tag-team for the needs of the home. As a volunteer on the ground, I will be able to give Steve exact information for donations, or heads ups before he arrives. I am looking forward to meeting him.

---
Dockpo sent a couple of documents to me that provide the background story for every girl who is presently at the home. Not only does it provide insight as to why Dockpo's initiative is so necessary, but it also explains the dreams and goals of the girls, whether it's to be a doctor, a teacher, or a professional dancer. If you are interested in receiving a copy of the girl's stories, send me an email at: gmwilgus@gmail.com.

Dockpo also provided me with a breakdown of yearly expenses and budgeting for the home. If you would like to see that as well, don't hesitate to ask.

Thank you for reading, keep coming back!

1 comment:

  1. Hi there... just wanted to drop by and say that you're doing an amazing service to the world with your trip to Tibet. I live right on the Brunswick/Topsham line, so I thought I'd give props to a fellow blogger from the area for being as brave as you... keep up the good work!

    ~ Steven
    AIM seventhanos112

    ReplyDelete