"Should I save or savor the world?"

If the world were merely seductive, that would be easy. If it were merely challenging, that would be no problem. But I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve (or save) the world and a desire to enjoy (or savor) the world.

This makes it hard to plan the day.

E.B. White

Monday, January 5, 2009

An Introduction and Welcome

Dear Friend,

My name is Geneva Wilgus, and I live with my family in Mid Coast Maine. I am taking this year "on," between my sophomore and junior years, in order to pursue some different interests. I attended Cedarville University in Cedarville, Ohio after recruitment to their nationally ranked debate team. After two years, I withdrew and came home to Maine, and began coaching debate at my alma mater Brunswick High School as well as substitute teaching for the Brunswick district. I also volunteer with Rick Wilson at Brunswick High School for the Service Learning classes and work with a few other independent projects.

This year has provided me with clarity and vision, and I am realizing more about myself than I ever did on a college campus. While in the process of transferring schools, I am also switching majors from Political Communication to Education, possibly pursuing a degree in high school English from Goddard College in Vermont.

Beyond the physical plans, I am re-dedicating myself to the philosophy that everyone should serve, in one aspect or another and am thus planning a three-month stay at the Golok Sengcham Drukmo Home for Girls in the Qinghai Province, Tibet, China, beginning in early March, ending in early June. This blog is dedicated to the before, during and after of this trip, and I encourage you to stay connected with me through this journey. I will always be available to talk should you have comments, concerns, advice, anecdotes or if you would like to volunteer in a similar aspect. If you are a student and would like to base a service project around this trip, I am excited for you and invite you to contact me so I can hear your ideas.

My email is gmwilgus@gmail.com; please don't hesitate to contact me.

Thank you, friend, for reading.

Geneva

No comments:

Post a Comment